Occlusal (Bite) Adjustment
Occlusal adjustments also are carried out on patients who are in the habit of clenching their teeth. If you have tooth sensitivity, occlusal adjustment can be used to reduce pressure on sensitive teeth.
This procedure requires a wealth of experience, latest tools and equipment and sound knowledge. Thankfully, you can find all this under one roof when you visit Oakridge Dental Center.
When Should You Go for Bite Adjustment?
At Oakridge Dental Center, we believe in educating our patients, so that they can make informed decisions about their dental and oral health. So, here are some reasons that necessitate occlusal (bite) adjustments:
- When you feel loose or shifting teeth or the spacing between your upper front teeth increases.
- When you clench or grind your teeth often. This reduces the bone support to the teeth and can cause teeth to shift, thereby causing a problem with your bite.
- Headache at the temporal regions.
- Experiencing pain while eating or when the upper teeth and lower teeth come in contact.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperature.
- Hypersensitivity or irritation in the nerve within the tooth.
How Occlusal (Bite) Adjustment Helps?
Occlusal adjustment is a dental procedure wherein the biting surface of teeth is reshaped. This helps in reducing spots of pressure as you bring the teeth of upper and lower jaws together. Hence, through occlusal adjustment, we, at Oakridge Dental Center, distribute bite pressure regularly and uniformly over the entire arch.
Here are some of the methods we use to adjust bites:
- Bite Splint Therapy is used to adjust the bite guard in order to keep teeth at a correct distance from each other.
- Braces are used to position drifted teeth or those teeth that are not aligned properly.
- Worn out and damaged teeth fillings are replaced.
- Damaged teeth are worked upon.
- Damaged teeth which cannot be positioned properly are removed in worst cases and those gaps are then filled using different procedures, such as implants, bridges and crowns.
With the aid of adjustment, we can eliminate irregular pressure on the sides of the mouth and the bite is evenly distributed. The process is carried out using dental drill and filling to match the natural color of your teeth. To relax the jaw muscles, we advise protection of tooth surface after the procedure is completed.
Why Choose Oakridge Dental Center?
Our state-of-the-art tools, equipment and technologies help locate problem areas accurately. We usually undertake computer scans to get images of the teeth position and this helps us in pinpointing irregularities with precision. Based on the findings, we then proceed to provide information on the best treatment options available to the patient.
We would like to point out here that the entire treatment for occlusal (bite) adjustment is virtually pain-free and does not cause any discomfort.
Additional Therapies with Bite Adjustment
We often recommend our patients go for additional therapies along with bite adjustment, depending upon the damage. Some of the therapies we suggest include construction of Hawley Bite Plane, Splinting and Medication. The purpose of each is to resolve issues that crop is due to a problem bite. These include headaches, difficulty in chewing, and tight jaw muscles. We also prescribe muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatory medications to ease the discomfort due to bite issues.
If you are also suffering from any symptom related to your bite, call us today to schedule an appointment. Our dental team is knowledgeable, empathetic and friendly. Once you opt for occlusal (bite) adjustment, you’ll be wondering why you didn’t walk into Oakridge Dental Center earlier!